- Pay Rate:
£22.19 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
- ISLINGTON, London,
Interim Active Travel Plan Officer – Transport & Active Travel
Reference no: Islington RQ832702
Pay rate: £22.19 per hour PAYE
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
Enhanced DBS required for this role
The Active Travel Team plays a key role in creating better neighbourhoods, streets and public spaces to meet the needs of local communities. The Active Travel Plan Officer is responsible for developing, promoting and coordinating the delivery of school travel plans and related active travel projects. Supporting school children to become healthier by taking up active travel (walking, cycling and scooting) and reducing the school run, working the goals of the council’s Transport Strategy and Vision Zero, as well as supporting schools with their whole school goals, such as the Healthy Schools Agenda.
- Develop and co-ordinate support for school communities creating and implementing school travel plans and assisting schools to progress funding bids.
- Support the School Streets project, to promote engagement in the project and to promote the scheme to the wider community.
- Develop and implement consultations for the school streets project.
- Work closely with all stakeholders engaged in the school streets project.
- Maintain and produce reports from the STARS Transport for London school travel plan programme and disseminate this information when required.
- Consider, develop and implement a promotion and publicity strategy for school travel plans which will ensure that schools are aware of and know how to access relevant and appropriate information and guidance. To disseminate information about school travel plans through presentations and existing publications and through the identification of other opportunities.
- Review existing monitoring and evaluation procedures and develop and implement ways to accurately determine and record progress made by schools tackling and implementing School Travel Plans.
- Work in partnership with other organisations and stakeholders to promote the school travel and school streets programme.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A teaching qualification or at least two years’ experience working in a school travel adviser post or a road safety environment required.
Experience & Knowledge:
- An in-depth knowledge of school travel plans and/or sustainable travel initiatives.
- Experience in dealing with complex and difficult telephone and written enquiries.
- An understanding of current legislation that governs Road Safety.
- Experience of building and collating relevant information and data required to produce a successful funding bid.
- Proven ability to work within a construction/road safety environment.
- Experience in the use of computer systems for the preparation of correspondence, databases and compilation of statistics, standard Microsoft packages to an advanced level.
- Experience of the management of staff, the ability to motivate staff to a high level of performance, and to operate and use an appraisal system.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role, or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
- Ability to prioritise own workload, under pressure and within tight schedules.
- Ability to be deliver presentations to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to prepare funding bids for submission.
- Very good communication skills and be able to work creatively and constructively within a team, with other parts of the Council and partner organisations.
- Ability to develop and maintain systems, including financial, IT and performance review systems, necessary for the delivery of cost-effective, high quality services.
- Ability to develop programmes and plans for activities and projects that support the STARS programme.
- Proven ability to produce high quality written communications, and to present information and advice clearly and concisely, to all levels of management and the public.
- Understanding of Quality and Customer Care issues including awareness of Quality Assurance and consultation processes.
- An ability to work collaboratively on a range of projects.
- An ability to provide expert advice to elected members, management and less experienced colleagues.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Active Travel Plan Officer – Transport & Active Travel
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.