- Pay Rate:
£319.11 per day PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3 months
- TROWBRIDGE, Wiltshire,
Interim Litigation Solicitor - Regulatory/Enforcement
Reference no: Wiltshire RQ827478
Pay rate: £319.11 per day PAYE
Role Length: This opening assignment is for 3 months
Hybrid role - able to attend the office regularly on a two weekly rota and attend court hearings in Swindon/Salisbury
Car driver with valid license and insurance or ability to travel
An experienced Litigation Solicitor is required to undertake prosecutions for public and environmental health, trading standards, planning control, animal welfare offences and hybrid civil and enforcement work for the Council’s housing department in respect of anti-social behaviour and unlawful occupation of Council owned land and highways. In addition, regulatory work will include advising Council officers in licensing decision-making in respect of taxi licensing and breaches of licence conditions. To work as part of a small team with experienced instructing officers.
- Undertake a range of local authority regulatory/enforcement work for public and environmental health, trading standards, planning control, animal welfare offences and hybrid civil and enforcement work for the Council’s housing department in respect of anti-social behaviour and unlawful occupation of Council owned land and highways.
- Regulatory work will include advising Council officers in licensing decision-making in respect of taxi licensing and breaches of licence conditions.
- General litigation aspect will include planning and highways disputes, insurance and governance issues and contributing to training initiatives as required.
- Manage a wide-ranging caseload of both straightforward and complex legal work and provide high quality legal advice.
- Keep relevant stakeholders informed of the progress of the case, taking due regard of Court dates, priorities, deadlines, and the Legal Service’s quality standards.
- Project manage the research, compilation and briefing/presentation process in relation to significant cases, including attending case conferences and updating internal management at the highest level.
- If required, to undertake significant advocacy work at Magistrates’ Court and in Courts at higher level or equivalent, liaising with officers of the Courts, solicitors, barristers and their staff, and members of the public as appropriate.
- Manage a team of between 3 and 6 admitted Barristers/Solicitors between level 1 to 3 including the recruitment, selection, appraisal and development and motivation of all members of the team in respect of providing high quality legal services in the specialist field of law.
- Brief external agents and barristers as required on cases of significant complexity.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A solicitor/barrister with a minimum of eight years’ post qualification experience, five of which must have been spent practising in a relevant area of law.
- Experience of a range of local authority regulatory/enforcement work.
- Legal skill experience including case management, research, specialist advocacy skills, specialist training/presentation skills, exceptional expertise in specialist areas of law, regular dealings with and advice to members.
- Ability to work with limited support and supervision.
- Able to give advice and representation in the area of work allocated.
- Ability to prioritise a caseload, varied in its complexity.
- Able to resolve a wide range of legal problems.
- Able to demonstrate a good knowledge of the framework of local government.
- Ability to negotiate with others or holding their own with senior officers or in Court.
- Ability to handle complex, high profile, sensitive matters.
- Car driver with valid license and insurance or ability to travel to Swindon and Salisbury to attend court hearings.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Litigation Solicitor - Regulatory/Enforcement
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.