- Pay Rate:
£9.79 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, starting between 07:00am-07:30am
This opening assignment is for 13 months
- MEADOWFIELD, Durham,
Temporary Allotment Maintenance Assistant x4
Reference no: Durham 1004625713927056
Pay rate: £9.79 per hour PAYE
Requirement to hold a valid UK driving licence ideally covering at least Category B
This role is in a newly created, small team of staff responsible for a range of maintenance tasks across the Council’s allotment sites. Undertaking a variety of tasks to improve the physical appearance of the allotments and completing a range of routine and ad hoc repairs and maintenance tasks on allotment sites across the County under the direction of a Chargehand but may often be required to work alone.
- Undertake maintenance and improvement works on allotment sites.
- Strimming back overgrown vegetation.
- Repairing or replacing fences and gates.
- Removing or cutting back hedges and small trees and simple, small-scale path/track maintenance.
- Preparing ground ready for cultivation and application of herbicides.
- Litter picking and removing waste materials.
- Repairing and painting allotment structures or dismantling redundant structures (for example: sheds, greenhouses, animal enclosures, and communal facilities).
- Clearing drainage ditches.
- Erection and maintenance of signage.
- Graffiti removal.
- Liaising with and supporting internal specialists or external contractor to ensure more complex works are completed (for example removal of large trees, removal of brick structures, and major path / track resurfacing).
- Ensuring good customer care is provided to all stakeholders that you come into contact with during the course of your work (this includes but is not limited to: allotment tenants, allotment associations, local residents, external contractors, and staff from other Council services).
- Ensure the safe use, security of vehicles, plant, equipment and machinery allocated to you.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of and appropriate qualifications to allow the safe and effective completion of work allocated to you.
- Work outdoors whilst carrying out majority of the tasks.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Clean driving licence covering at least category B.
- Competent in the use of machinery/tools relevant to the role.
- Basic all-round knowledge of both hard and soft landscaping.
- Basic general knowledge of health and safety issues relevant to the role.
- Experience in using of a wide range of plant, equipment and machinery relevant to the role (for example, strimmer’s, hedge cutters, rotavators, etc).
- Experience of speaking and working with the public.
- Basic knowledge of health and safety requirements and procedures relevant to the role.
- Due to the requirement to drive a County Council vehicle in these roles, the production of a valid driving licence for the required category of vehicle and the satisfactory completion of an in-house Driver Induction Assessment is required.
- Display a willingness to be trained in all aspect of the role.
- Commitment to customer care and a flexible approach to work.
- Work to the hours of the service, this may include working annualised hours (longer in summer, shorter in winter).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let me know and we can send you some additional information for clarify.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Clean driving licence covering at least category B.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Allotment Maintenance Assistant x4
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.