- Pay Rate:
£18.00 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
Temporary Operational Supervisor - Catering Operations
Reference no: Caerphilly 5236161
Pay rate: £18.00 per hour PAYE
Hours per week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 3-4 months
Hybrid working with site visits
Enhanced DBS required for this role
Full UK driving licence and use of own vehicle
An Operational Supervisor is required to provide effective supervision and management of catering operations in a designated multi-sited area, covering school meals, breakfast clubs, corporate office catering, civic functions and meals direct (meals on wheels).To ensure operational standards and procedures are maintained according to the required specification in line with council policies and procedures and specific working procedures detailed in the workplace practice manual and appropriate recipe manuals.
- Ensure that productivity targets, cost controls and quality standards are met and that catering activities remain financially viable. Ensure that internal quality audits show a low level of non-conformities. Ensure customer complaints are dealt with quickly and satisfactorily.
- Support the Principal Officer Catering in delivering wider service development plans and delivery on key projects aimed at securing the environmental, cultural, economic and social well-being of the Borough.
- Promote, deliver, and facilitate Corporate Stategies, well-being and implement new corporate strategies to multi sited frontline service areas.
- On a rotational basis management responsibility for the following areas of service delivery: School meals including breakfast clubs; Corporate office catering including civic functions and meals direct; covering sheltered housing and tourist catering sites when required; Menu development in accordance with the Welsh Government Healthy Food in School Measure 2013.
- Liaise and plan medical diets to meet the needs of customers with specific dietary needs. Develop individual training plans, risk assessments and Food Safety HACCP plans.
- Full line management responsibility for a multi-sited area team located in sites across the Borough. Ensure good communications with all catering staff within the area and brief staff at regular team briefing sessions and check understanding of staff of written bulletins in the workplace.
- Responsible for discipline, welfare, training and development, formal appraisal (My Time and My Time Extra).
- Responsible for appointment, interviewing, recruitment, selection and induction including processing of wages and all related paperwork associated with employment in accordance with Council policies. To effectively manage and motivate team.
- Undertake regular visits to inspect locations to ensure cost controls and quality standards are being achieved, implement and monitor any preventative or corrective action taken ensuring full compliance is achieved. Plan and deliver staff training.
- Use various software systems to administer payments of invoices, income collection, free school meal applications, reviewing facilities / equipment at sites etc. Produce management information on key performance indicators such as meal take-up, staff productivity, food costs, staff absence. Review this information and present it to operational meetings and senior management team meetings.
- Manage the daily delivery routes of Meals Direct in a flexible way to ensure production levels are evenly distributed between delivery and production areas.
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via job[email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Relevant Level 4 qualification on the Credit and Qualifications Framework for Wales. For example, Level 4 Certificate or Diploma in Business Management - Desirable.
- Basic Certificate in Supervisory Skills or ability to achieve within a timescale to be agreed.
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate or ability to achieve within 1 month of appointment.
- Basic Health and Safety Certificate or ability to achieve within 1 month of appointment.
- City and Guilds or years of experience.
- Relevant experience of staff management.
- Experience of undertaking training and staff development.
- Minimum of 12 months recent experience in a similar role or context and ideally within a public sector organisation.
Skills & Abilities:
- Flexibility to work unsociable hours in emergency situations or where tasks relevant to the post demand.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of staff and clients.
- Ability to encourage initiative and training for personal development.
- Motivated to achieve personal and organisational skills.
- Demonstrate commitment to the ethos of a democratically accountable yet responsive, caring, high quality and customer driven front-line public service.
- Full UK Category B (Cars) driving licence and the use of a motor vehicle insured for business / work purposes to travel throughout the borough to undertake site visits, attend meetings etc.
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Operational Supervisor - Catering Operations
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.