- Pay Rate:
£19.96 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 6 months.
An Information Governance Officer - Legal and Democratic is required to work with the Data Protection Officer/Information Governance (IG) Manager and other Information Governance staff to develop IG practices across the organisation. This may involve development of policies, procedures, processes and controls alongside the provision of support, advice and guidance to internal and external customers.
This is a specialist post within Legal and Democratic Service, reporting directly to the DPO. Its focus is on data protection, freedom of information, environmental information and transparency requirements on the council.
The post holder will need to work at an operational level with internal and external customers and with stakeholders within NNC and partner organisations.
They will support and promote corporate responsibility and accountability for information governance and compliance with (UK) GDPR, The Data Protection Act 2018, The Freedom of Information Act 2000, The Local Government Transparency Code and the Environmental Information Regulations.
Duties to include:
- Working with various teams within the council to provide advice, guidance and practical support on IG matters. Working with the wider IG Team and the DPO/IG Manager to ensure that the necessary systems and processes are in place to ensure the council meet their legal obligations.
- Work with the DPO to deliver key aspects of the information governance framework such as administration of the newly established Information Management Board, and annual IG tool kit submissions.
- In conjunction with the council’s DPO and wider IG team develop and review the information sharing requirements across the Council’s various services and partners ensuring that the appropriate standards are in place within the Council for Information Governance and Data Security.
- In conjunction with the council’s DPO and wider IG team, horizon scan for changes in legislation and strategy from an Information Governance perspective and inform the DPO/Council’s SIRO of the impacts, risks and actions needed to be managed or taken.
- Working to develop strong relationships with external stakeholders (key partners) to ensure that all systems and developments deliver against the corporate governance requirements of the Council.
- In conjunction with the wider IG team to ensure adequate support and guidance to staff delivering on the council’s transparency requirements.
- Provide support to more junior staff members in dealing with complex IG queries from members of the public, to include complex SAR and other data subject rights requests, FOI reviews, customer complaints and breach reporting.
NB: If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, not that they would exclude candidates willing to travel/relocate, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Educated to a higher level (degree level qualification or equivalent) or relevant experience.
- Evidence of commitment to personal development activity
- **Please provide details of all qualifications held, especially any professional qualifications relating to the role
- Knowledge & Skills:
- Advanced level and understanding of information management systems and the importance of high quality information and its use.
- An understanding of how national government, local government and key partners operate.
- Experience of delivering within complex organisational change and development environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act, Environmental Information Regulations and Transparency Code for Local Government.
- Strategic analytical skills coupled with the ability to create a logical implementation and task plan.
- Ability to work effectively with senior officers, presenting and challenging them with business improvement initiatives.
- Ability to work closely with senior officers and staff inside and outside of local authority arrangements building strong relationships.
- Able to think strategically and identify suitable and innovative problem solving solutions, whilst managing complex sets of relationships and evidence of success in this regard.
- Able to analyse and communicate complex information, issues and present information effectively and comprehensively both verbally and in written reports.
- Strong ICT skills to support and develop work alongside excellent self organisation and co-ordination skills.
- Ability to demonstrate awareness/understanding of equal opportunities and other people’s behaviour, physical, social and welfare needs
- Experience of implementing information governance across a multi disciplined area.
- Experience of business process re-engineering/processing skills.
- Knowledge of project management and project delivery.
- Significant experience in data and knowledge management
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via [email protected] but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temp Information Governance Officer – Democratic Services
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.