- Pay Rate:
£9.62 per hour PAYE.
- Hours per Week:
35-37 Monday – Friday, 07:00 to 15:00
This opening assignment is for 2-3 months
A Refuse loader - Manual Labour is required to work on a temporary basis for 2-3 months to work as a team member collecting the bins and also various duties. Duties will be varied but will include all aspects of refuse and recycling collections as detailed below.
The post holder will be expected to work as part of a small team to ensure clean streets and customer service standards are met.
The post holder may also need to drive the truck, so a full UK driving licence, plus a HGV licence is required along with previous experience.
Duties may include:
- To undertake refuse/recycling collection from all properties listed for route including wheeled bins, bulk containers, sacks and bulky items.
- Maintaining a good service to the public at all times including: Closing gates when leaving premises, Avoiding or picking up any spillage on premises or in the road, Avoiding damage to property and injury to persons, Keeping noise to a minimum, Courtesy in dealing with the public and Avoiding any acceptance of liability, personally or on behalf of the Council
- Instructing any new drivers in the route to be taken.
- Liaising with the public over any queries arising from the refuse/recycling collection service.
- Any other work as directed by the Refuse Supervisor.
- During ice and snow periods Operatives may be employed on snow clearing or gritting of pavements in the Borough.
- Carry out a range of driving duties appropriate to the license held, to include refuse collection vehicles, street cleansing vehicles and general commercial vehicles as required. Required to carry out general duties within the general cleansing service and refuse collection service to meet the service needs as required plus any other related duties as directed by the Cleansing Supervisor.
- When undertaking driving duties be responsible for vehicles and passengers in accordance with the Council’s Driver’s Handbook and be responsible for completion of all relevant checks and paperwork. Responsible for the supervision of up to five cleansing operatives on a daily basis to ensure the completion of daily tasks/works as directed.
NB: If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Relevant HGV Driving Licence - desirable
- **Please provide details of all qualifications held, especially any professional qualifications relating to the role
- Knowledge & Skills:
- Has numeracy and literacy skills to complete basic documentation.
- Works well alone or as part of a team.
- Knowledge of health and safety and types of practices which need to put in place to do work safely.
- Ability to communicate with customers and colleagues on work delivery maters.
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Prepared to undertake work patterns which require flexibility and to work on some bank holidays.
- Keen to carry out further training and development if required for the role
- Works collaboratively with individuals and teams to support service delivery
- Experience of driving a large vehicle e.g.3.5 - 26 tonne
- Please provide details of all relevant experience
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via [email protected] but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temporary Refuse Loader - Manual Labour
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.