- Pay Rate: £18.43 max per hour PAYE.
- Hours per Week: 35-37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- This opening assignment is for 12 months.
- Warrington, WA1 2QB
A Standard DBS Disclosure Check is required - please give details if you have one already in place. Taking out a Standard check is likely to be required as a precondition to starting the assignment. Your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
Three Regulatory Compliance Officers/Environmental health Officers are required to join the Public Protection Service on outbreak control including: contact tracing, outbreak consequence management and enforcement, and the investigation of health and safety cases.
You will also get the opportunity to broaden your skills and experience by providing flexible operational support across the wider service including environmental protection, food, public health, licensing and environmental crime.
It is essential that you have relevant experience on the control of infectious disease along with evidence of an advanced level of knowledge and application of the legislation governing food safety and health & safety.
In addition, you should have previous experience and knowledge of incident management procedures and responsibilities.
You will also be an excellent communicator with a commitment to customer care.
NB: The salary indicated for this role is a maximum of £18.43 per hour PAYE. (Please provide details of salary expectations with your application)
Duties to include:
- The post holder must carry out the duties with full regard to the Council’s Corporate Plan, the Corporate Equality and Diversity Policy, Health and Safety Policy and Social Inclusion Strategy.
- Carry out contract tracing in the event of a local outbreak providing advice to cases and ascertaining key information and potential contacts.
- To work as part of the local outbreak control and prevention team and to assist with reporting to the health protection board.
- To record and maintain accurate information to enable reporting and effective local decision making.
- To investigate local outbreaks and to provide advice and support to businesses, organisations and groups on outbreak prevention and control. Taking enforcement action where necessary.
- To provide advice and support to businesses on how to operate in a Covid secure way in accordance with Government and sector guidance.
- To contribute to the development of local procedures and to assist in the training and support of colleagues in terms of contact tracing.
- To carry out health and safety investigations, including reports of poor social distancing and management practices relating to Covid-19.
- To carry out investigations into work related accidents and ill health, outbreaks of food poisoning and infectious disease.
- To inspect and report on all premises within the Borough where health and safety or food safety legislation applies.
- To assist in the delivery of the statutory Public Health funeral duty
- To provide flexible operational cover across the Public Protection Service as directed, including environmental protection, environmental crime and licensing.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Standard DBS Required: Your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health
- Has achieved registration with Environmental Health Registration Board; OR Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner status with the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- Meet Competence requirements for an Authorised Officer under the Food Law Code of Practice
- **Please provide details of all qualifications held, especially any professional qualifications relating to the role
- Knowledge & Skills:
- Highly developed interpersonal skills in order to be able to effectively communicate, negotiate with and influence a wide range of people including customers, partners, stakeholders and elected members
- Advanced level of knowledge of legislation in relation to food safety, health & safety and associated legislation
- Able to communication with multiple agencies including health/social care and the public
- Strong, effective verbal and written communication skills including a good telephone manner
- Able to gather sufficient information using good communication skills to ensure that the appropriate outcome can be determined
- The post holder required to employ listening and questioning skills, whilst having empathy and understanding where appropriate
- Ability to produce reports, instructions and written documents in clear and concise terms
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively plan and prioritise a wide variety of tasks and competing demands using own initiative to agreed deadlines with minimum supervision
- Ability to effectively plan and undertake project work delivering successful outcomes within strict timescales Evidence of good assessment and decision-making skills
- Able to work under pressure in a busy working environment with the ability to multi-task using own initiative
- Ability to understand and work from standard operating procedures
- Ability to rapidly assess information and recommend an appropriate course of action to address any issues or escalate these appropriately
- Ability to problem solve whilst working in an unpredictable environment, often under pressure and to tight timescales Ability to organise time and workload effectively
- Ability to quickly understand and use a range of information technology
- Skilled in leading and working as part of a team to achieve common goals and successful outcomes
- Experience and knowledge of incident management procedures and responsibilities
- Evidence of an advanced level of knowledge and application of the legislation governing food safety and health & safety
- Substantial experience of regulation and enforcement
- Experience of managing own workload with the ability to determine those tasks that are urgent and require immediate action
- Experience of dealing with confidential and sensitive data and appropriate maintenance and storage of records
- Proven track record of working effectively with partners and stakeholders
- Substantial evidence of effective project management and the delivery of successful outcomes
- Experience of contributing to the development of policies and procedures
- Experience of delivering high standards of customer care
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via [email protected] but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temp Environmental Health Officers x3 - Public Protection
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.