- Pay Rate:
£24.79 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 4-5 MONTHS
- HACKNEY, London,
Interim Lawyer – Child Care/Community
Reference no: Hackney RQ742179
Pay rate: £24.79 per hour PAYE
Requirement to attend evening meetings on occasions
Responsible for a mixed caseload and must be proactive in dealing with contentious matters. As the first point of contact for clients and as a legal representative at the Courts, excellent communication skills are essential, with the tact and discretion needed to handle highly confidential and sensitive matters. To provide a responsive service working closely with colleagues across the Council to deliver key objectives in accordance with the Corporate Plan. Will be expected to undertake some advocacy and to take on some Adult Social Care matters.
- Responsible for a mixed caseload and must be proactive in dealing with contentious matters.
- Undertake advocacy on behalf of the Council in courts and tribunals, where this is part of the work of the team.
- Draft complex reports and legal documentation.
- Deliver seminars or briefings to clients, colleagues, service users, Members and others.
- Research and analyse the law.
- Comply with the Service’s practice management standards and manage cases within that framework.
- Use the case management system and to record the chargeable hours per annum required for the post or such other outcome focused targets as may beset by the Head of Service or Director of Legal and Governance.
- Provide any performance data required by the Service promptly and accurately.
- Attend evening meetings as and when required. To attend and represent the Council at external meetings, Council committee meetings and working groups as necessary (which might fall outside of normal office hours), to advise on legal issues, governance and procedure.
- Undertake some advocacy and be willing to take on some Adult Social Care matters.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- A qualified Solicitor or Barrister or Fellows of the Institute of Legal Executives with post-qualification experience of dealing with care proceedings, public law and judicial review matters.
- A highly skilled Child Care/Community lawyer with significant experience of Children’s and Community care matters and an understanding and commitment to the Council’s sustainability agenda.
- Experience of undertaking a caseload of both routine and non-routine legal matters.
- Experience of providing clear, consistent and accurate legal advice to clients on the interpretation of the law.
- Experience of using a case management system.
- Experience of undertaking a caseload of complex legal matters.
- Experience of advocacy.
- Experience of researching and presenting complex legal arguments
- Experience of achieving chargeable hours targets.
- Experience of providing legal services to clients to agreed standards and of implementing client care policies and initiatives.
- Solution focused and driven to achieve successful outcomes for clients.
- Ability to provide high quality legal services to clients across the Council.
- Ability to manage a demanding caseload of legal matters and to achieve chargeable hours targets.
- Ability to represent the Council in courts and tribunals.
- Resilience and tenacity along with the determination to achieve results.
- Ability to use a case management system effectively and record at least 1200 chargeable hours per annum.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, are essential and appreciation of and exemplify the tact and discretion needed to handle highly confidential and sensitive matters.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Lawyer – Child Care/Community
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.