- Pay Rate:
£15.92 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
36 Monday – Friday - shifts can be worked over 4 or 5 days, between the hours of 7:00am – 22:00, and 08:00-17:00 weekends
This opening assignment is for 2 months
- CAMDEN, London,
Temporary Vehicle Technician and MOT Tester
Reference no: Camden RQ743498
Pay rate: £15.92 per hour PAYE
Enhanced DBS required for this role
Full clean UK driving licence category B, preferably with D and/or C.
Responsible for the servicing, repairs and maintenance of the council’s fleet of vehicles as well as carrying out MOT inspections and tests on class 4,5 and 7 vehicles for in-house fleet, hire vehicles and for members of the public as part of the in-house transport service known as Camden Accessible Travel Solutions (CATS). The role also requires individuals to be competent with the use of vehicle diagnostics and related technologies used in vehicle servicing.
- Day to day service, repair and maintenance of in-house vehicle fleet ranging from Passenger Service Vehicles (PSVs) to small vans, cars and minibuses.
- Carry out daily checks on MOT equipment as per statutory requirements set out by the MOT regulator, DVSA.
- Conduct vehicle inspections and MOT inspections as per DVSA standards.
- Undertake pre–delivery inspections and preparation on new vehicles and plant. Give technical support and identify repairs and omissions on new vehicles when compared with vehicle specification off-hire vehicle checks and repairs.
- Complete all relevant paperwork (physical or digital) associated with the jobs you have undertaken to the agreed standards and in a timely manner.
- Undertake vehicle fault diagnosis, repair and maintenance of the Council’s fleet of vehicles and private and/or hire vehicles as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with vehicle safety standards as per DVSA standards.
- Provide feedback on improvements or modifications that may be considered necessary to improve the vehicles’ economic and safe operation.
- Attend vehicles that have broken down on the roadside ensuring repair or recovery to operating centre.
- Attend any serious road traffic collisions where expertise will be required.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- Fully qualified MOT Tester or recognised UK or Non-UK recognised qualifications as per DVLA eligibility criteria, to become MOT Tester.
- Fully qualified to undertake MOT testing on Class 4, 5 and 7 vehicles (encompassing the whole of the Council’s in-house MOT fleet – Cars, Vans and up to 16 Seater minibuses).
- Have a full clean UK driving licence category B preferably with D and/or C.
- Have completed the previous year’s annual training and assessment and/or are currently active in the MOT testing service.
- Knowledge of DVSA Vehicle inspection and service requirements.
- Understanding the roles of AEDM (Authorised Examiner Designated Manager); AED (Authorised Examiner Delegate); AE (Authorised Examiner) and Site Manager in relation to MOT Test Centre.
- Knowledge of the DVSA MOT Testing Guide and MOT Testing Manuals.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of ‘Pass First Time’ approach to MOTs, ensuring that minimum vehicle road safety standards are met.
- Knowledge of operating and using appropriate techniques and equipment e.g. vehicle lifts, vehicle ancillary equipment, workshop machinery, plant & tools and testing & diagnostic equipment will be a daily routine in this role.
- Appropriate health and safety / manual handling activities e.g. pushing, lifting, carrying and or applying pressures in various locations and environments including restricted access, where reasonable and appropriate to do so.
- Variations through the operation of duties will be dependent upon the particular needs of the service such as undertaking driving/operating vehicles & Plant, undertaking mechanical, electrical, hydraulic functions and administrative tasks as appropriate.
- Knowledge of enhancements within fleet services such as new fuel technologies, electric vehicles, CNG fuel.
- Experience of working within a busy fleet depot and workshop setting.
- Experience of undertaking MOT inspections for class 4, 5 and 7 vehicles.
- Experience of adhering to Health and Safety legislation in relation to vehicle workshops and transport depots.
- Experience of working to strict deadlines and completing assigned jobs as directed by the Service Manager/Manufacturer timescales.
- Experience of undertaking pre-planned servicing and conducting six-weekly preventive maintenance inspections.
- Experience of carrying our pre-MOT inspections with a strict discipline of vehicles passing first time and minimising OCRS Roadworthiness Points (OCRS).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Unless the DBS requirement stated above is for a Basic Disclosure, your DBS must be either through us or be accompanied by a subscription to the DBS updating service.
- Full clean Driving licence, category B, preferably with D and/or C.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Vehicle Technician and MOT Tester
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.