- Pay Rate:
£14.26 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week:
37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
This opening assignment is for 1-2 months
- DENBIGH, Denbighshire,
Temporary Project Engineer - Highway Development Control
Reference no: Denbighshire RQ738949
Pay rate: £14.26 per hour PAYE
Car driver with valid license and insurance and ability to travel
To assist the Senior Engineer to deliver an efficient highways development control function. To help facilitate development whilst meeting the Council’s statutory obligations in regard to road safety, active travel and maintaining the free flow of traffic and assist in the delivery of the strategic transport planning function.
- Provide pre-application advice on highway design issues to developers and their agents, to agree the scope of Transport Assessments and Transport Statements and request traffic surveys where necessary to help in the assessment of development proposals.
- Assess the geometric layout of highway design proposals submitted as part of planning applications in accordance with relevant design standards and guidance such as Manual for Streets; TAN 18 and the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges.
- Provide formal written comments to the Planning Development Management team as part of the statutory consultation for planning applications and provide advice as required.
- Attend meetings with developers, the general public, elected members, town and community councils and other interested parties, as required, and represent the Highway Authority as necessary as part of the planning consultation process.
- Assess, give feedback, and provide final approval for detailed construction drawings and specifications provided by developers, and consultants acting on their behalf, for works covered by Section 38 and/or Section 278 agreements.
- Supervise construction works to ensure they are carried out in accordance with the approved design drawings and construction specifications as part of Section 38 and/or Section 278 agreements.
- Appraise Transport Assessments and Transport Statements submitted as part of planning applications to ensure that they provide a robust evaluation of the potential impact of development proposals.
- Attend the Council’s Planning Committee, when required, to answer any questions the Committee might have in regarding to the impact of a development on the highway network.
- Provide written professional evidence to support the Highway Authority at Planning Appeals and to attend Planning Appeals as necessary.
- Provide assistance to the Senior Engineer (Development Control) and to the Legal Department regarding any details required in the drafting of Section 38 and Section 278 agreements.
- Prepare Traffic Regulation Orders in liaison with the Council’s Legal team, including the preparation of schedules and consultation with stakeholders in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Operate and maintain the Council’s transport planning software such as TRICS, TEMPRO and JUNCTIONS.
“Role Requirements” – to give yourself the maximum chance of success please try and ensure your CV addresses the following essential criteria:
- HNC/HND or Degree in Civil Engineering or a related discipline.
- New Roads and Street Works Act Supervisors' Certificate.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- A strong working knowledge of construction processes and materials.
- Experience of highway and traffic engineering.
- Good understanding of the planning development control process.
- Strong working knowledge of construction methods and construction materials.
- Able to demonstrate a high degree of communication, interpersonal skills and persuasion skills with the ability to work alongside others.
- Ability to manage time and prioritise effectively to achieve objectives and deliver work within tight deadlines.
- Able to act on own initiative and take responsibility for decisions to achieve results.
- Proactively seeks out opportunities for personal learning and development.
- Able to work on construction sites and on the highway including high speed roads and to work outdoors on a frequent basis.
- Strong IT skills using Microsoft packages or equivalent (e.g. G Suite).
NB: Please feel free to apply to us direct via [email protected] by quoting the job reference and job title exactly. SEE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AD.
If you have previously applied to one of our vacancies and have already sent the required supporting documentation to us, please make this clear when you re-apply as this will help speed up your application.
To help speed up the process of uploading your CV to the client we would suggest that you send us your CV in Word format (or equivalent) if possible, rather than as a PDF.
If you are successful in securing this role, please note that for the entire duration of this contract, regardless of extension you will be working this role at the PAYE rate that has been advertised. For absolute clarity, we only work on a PAYE basis, rather than entertaining umbrella pay terms, we do not offer Ltd/umbrella or outside IR35 rates. If you wish to understand PAYE vs Umbrella more, please let us know and we can send you some additional information for clarity.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
Other “Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Our clients are generally seeking applicants who are reasonably local, so on that basis we would ideally like you to supply us with your address (or at least your post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours.
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- ***Qualification details and any other experience/skills relevant to the job role to help support your application (and help us to help you!) – please give full details within your CV document.
- Full Driving licence, access to a vehicle or access to means of mobility support.
- Please refer to the Role Requirements section above - your CV must address the requirements listed.
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for.
Give yourself the best chance of success - View our CV Tip
Email Job Reminder
If you do not have a CV available right now please use this form to send yourself a reminder. When your CV is available, simply click the link in the email or alternatively reply to that email with your attached your CV.
Project Engineer - Highway Development Control
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.