Building Surveyor/Project Manager (Corporate Buildings) – Housing
Reference no: Thurrock 821625
Pay Rate: £25.00 ph PAYE, noting that Ltd/Umbrella company rates may also apply[temporary, but potentially long term role, subject to extension by the client]
- Where this vacancy is based:
Grays, RM17 6
- What’s involved with this role:
To manage corporate buildings maintenance and transformation programmes ensuring they are mobilised, delivered and reviewed in accordance with contractual obligations and good practice
Duties to include:
- To develop a comprehensive understanding of the utility and condition of the Council’s operational, commercial, leisure and community buildings portfolio.
- To develop and implement programmes for repairs and maintenance relating to the Council’s buildings portfolio.
- To develop, manage and deliver capital buildings projects, having lead site level responsibility for contractor delivery, ensuring projects are carried out in accordance with agreed obligations.
- To lead on the effective implementation of arrangements ensuing that capital works and repairs contractors and consultants are monitored and managed. This will include regular operational meetings with contractors and performance managing contractors.
- To ensure contractors have timely information to enable work to be carried out. Also to assist in ensuring that contractors and colleagues provide information and updates on property condition so that condition information is updated regularly with work done to ensure ongoing effective management of the buildings portfolio.
- To undertake (or to manage other providers to undertake) condition surveys, schedules of dilapidations, depreciated replacement cost surveys, defects analysis surveys etc.
- To manage day to day and programmed repairs to the Council’s properties, ensuring prompt repairs delivery, the appropriate and robust post inspection of work, and that timely payments are made to contractors.
- To ensure effective consultation with stakeholders (in this case colleagues from the Council and other agencies, and residents of the Borough) this will include attending meetings with building users, some of which maybe outside office hours.
- To ensure that all health and safety issues are addressed in relation to staff, customers and all other persons, complying with corporate procedures. This will include ensuring that all necessary method statements and risk assessments are up to date and in place.
N.B. – If, when replying, you fail to quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. your application will be AUTOMATICALLY REJECTED.
- Giving yourself the best chance of success:
- Please make sure that your CV is up to date and explains any gaps in employment.
- Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” (see below) of the role, including any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
- TO AVOID BEING REJECTED your CV should clearly state that you are AVAILABLE TO START WORK IMMEDIATELY OR AT SHORT NOTICE.
- WE CANNOT USE INFORMATION IN COVERING LETTERS, SO YOUR CV MUST CONTAIN ALL RELEVANT INFORMATION
- We recommend that you consider sending us (see * below) a suitably ‘tailored’ CV for each role that you apply for, listing somewhere near the top of your CV any key skills, experience and qualifications that relate specifically to this vacancy.
- “Essentials” – The following requirements must be highlighted on your CV itself and NOT in a covering letter:
- UK working experience
- Availability to work – CV should state either immediate or at short notice
- Minimum of 12 months recent Building Surveyor/Project Manager experience, preferably within a similar role or context and ideally within a public sector organisation
- Experienced qualified building surveyor with post qualification experience
- Competent using AutoCAD drawing programme and other mapping data systems such as GIS.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of project management with a demonstrable track record of successful achievement in this area.
- Knowledge of CDM and asbestos regulations
- Knowledge of building construction methods and techniques, and familiar with problem solving issues related to reactive and responsive maintenance of buildings.
- Good written and verbal communication and able to communicate effectively at a range of levels.
- Effective report writing skills on relevant matters such as reports on conversion, demolitions and structural issues for buildings.
- Must have excellent project management skills, with experience of managing multiple contracts over a number of different locations.
- Experience of carrying out functions associated with a professional building surveyor: e.g. condition surveys, dilapidations reports, defects analysis and building pathology, party wall agreements, DRC surveys.
- Ability to attend a number of meetings outside office hours, including at weekends.
- Fully proficient at using IT systems, with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office packages
- Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Working knowledge of building services: including mechanical and electrical systems.
- Chartered status of RICS
- Project management or management qualification (e.g. PRINCE 2 practitioner)
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
- Client: Public sector organisation
- Division(s)/Disciplines involved: Housing / Admin & Clerical
- Anticipated Length of Assignment: All of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis. This opening assignment is for 2-3 months.
- Hours per week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- Pay Basis: All vacancies are advertised at Triumph’s in-house PAYE rates of pay. We do, however, encourage all of our temps to actively consider the advantages of working their assignments via one of our external payroll company partners. Such (“umbrella”) arrangements are also PAYE based, but under them, most temps find themselves significantly better off in cash terms. More of this should you be appointed to the role …
*IF YOU WISH TO SEND A CV THROUGH TO US AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO APPLYING ON LINE, YOU MAY EMAIL IT DIRECTLY THROUGH TO:
…….but you must always remember to quote the reference number for the job in question, without which we will be unable to match your CV to the vacancy, given the number of applications that we receive each day. Please do note, however, that if the vacancy is no longer showing on the site it will no longer be live and you won’t necessarily get a reply from us if that is the case.
Please do not contact us requesting progress updates.
We read every CV sent to us, but due to high volumes are not able to respond to all unsuccessful applications, particularly where CVs do not address the “essentials” requested. You will, however, always hear from us by email if we are able to take your CV forward to the next stage.
Please note that we check all ads at least once per day to ensure that the underlying roles remain live.
Triumph Consultants Limited