- Pay Rate: £16.71 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- This opening assignment is for 1 month
- Rochdale, OL16 1XU
We are looking for a qualified Trading Standards Officer with recent enforcement experience working across the full range of Trading Standards functions.
You will undertake a lead officer role in the team, assisting the Trading Standards Operational Manager in the day to day supervision of workloads and activities (i.e. Age Restricted Products, Doorstep Crime, Product Safety, Metrology, Informal Economy, Unfair Commercial Practices, Food Standards, Animal Feed, Animal Health and Animal Welfare) within the Trading Standards team.
You will lead on complex matters and investigations and provide team members with guidance /interpretation of legislation.
You will support, motivate and act as a positive role model for team members.
Main duties include:
- To advise local residents and businesses on all aspects of Public Protection legislation (including on a Home Authority / Primary Authority basis, as appropriate); and including the giving of talks, presentation of displays etc, in accordance with the section’s educational role; and to assist generally with the promotion of schemes affecting all aspects of Public Protection, as allocated by the section
- To assist the Trading Standards Operational Manager on projects and proactive activities, both within and across designated teams, services and council wide
- To participate in partnership working arrangements with other council services, other local authorities or external agencies as required within the Trading Standards team
- To assist the Head of Public Protection and the Trading Standards Operational Manager in implementing the strategic direction of service delivery
- To assist the Trading Standards Operational Manager in the implementation of service and council policies within the work areas of the designated team
- To assist the Trading Standards Operational Manager in the implementation of service delivery improvements
- To assist the Trading Standards Operational Manager in the maintenance of performance management / quality assurance systems
- To assist the Trading Standards Operational Manager in the implementation and monitoring of service plans, team plans and individual work programmes and training plans
- To assist the Trading Standards Operational Manager in the effective management of the Trading Standards team budget by ensuring that all appropriate costs and fees are charged out and as far as possible income received into the correct cost centre codes
- To support the Trading Standards Operational Manager in dealing with personnel issues within the Trading Standards team ie workloads, competency, performance management, training and development, absence management, sickness absence records, annual leave records, time recording records etc
- To co-ordinate and take part in specialist survey, surveillance, research activities and project work as and when required
- To co-ordinate work as required in relation to Planning applications / Licensing consultations
- To maintain all pertinent records (manual and computerised) to comply with service, service groups, council or government requirements
- To support and assist officers within the Trading Standards team to write reports into investigations which may lead to legal proceedings and to oversee the quality and timeliness of those reports
- To undertake own and oversee the preparation and proper service of statutory notices and other legal documents in accordance with written authorisation and scheme of delegation
- To assist the Trading Standards Operational Manager to identify training and development needs of staff within the designated team to ensure all staff are properly trained and authorised to carry out their duties
- To ensure the implementation of agreed council policies and procedures within the designated team
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
“Essential Requirements” – Please check to ensure that your CV addresses the following items:
- Your address (including post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Recognised professional qualification in Trading Standards, including DTS (or equivalent), DCA (Parts 1 and 2)
- Relevant training qualifications and experience giving an equivalent level of skill, knowledge and expertise and meeting the required FSA competency under the Code of Practice which permits enforcement of Food legislation
- Qualified to undertake inspections and other work relating to food premises
- Qualified to fulfil the role of deputy to the Chief Inspector of Weights and Measures, as required
- Broad post-qualification experience of working in a regulatory environment
- Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of legislation and best practice relating to the full range of Trading Standards duties
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation
- Ability to interpret complaint trends, analyse technical data and use the data to develop and deliver effective targeted interventions
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively both in writing and verbally to a range of audiences
- Ability to work closely with partners and to develop positive working relations
- Ability to show sound judgement in the making and implementation of decisions
- Ability to negotiate effectively and persuade others to a particular view
- Ability to access, interrogate and maintain electronic information systems, databases and files
- Able and willing to work outside normal office hours, including attendance at evening Committees or other (public) meetings
- Experience of staff supervision in a positive and proactive manner
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft packages
- Able to undertake a certain amount of travelling in the course of the duties and able to travel independently throughout the Borough
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via firstname.lastname@example.org but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Temporary Trading Standards Specialist Lead - Neighbourhoods
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.