- Pay Rate: £36.11 per hour PAYE
- Hours per Week: 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- 37 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- Hereford, HR4 0LE
Allocated tasks may include the following:
Providing advice to internal staff as to the law on matters specifically relating to the work of the section as required.
Regular liaison with Council Departments, External Agencies, Courts, External Solicitors, Barristers, QC’s, Experts, Bailiffs and the Law Centre/CAB on all aspects of the work of the Section.
Preparing reports or legal concurrents for decision making bodies.
Preparing and processing all legal documents, including agreements, deeds, notices, orders, consents, byelaws, relevant to the work of the Council and of Individual Departments.
Negotiating and concluding contractual arrangements with Solicitors, Barristers, Valuers and Land Agents, and external agencies.
Preparation and processing of all matters relevant to any proceedings relating to the work of the Section, including the evaluation of evidence, instructing Counsel, interviewing witnesses, preparing proofs of evidence and witness statements, attending with the Council’s Advocate before Courts, Tribunals and Public Inquiries.
Presentation of cases before Courts, Tribunals or Public Inquiries where the worker has a right of audience on all matters relating to the work of the Council and its Departments.
Undertaking research upon legal questions arising from the work of the Section including, where necessary, briefing Counsel and/or consultants, instructing Experts and Consultants.
Please quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. in your application, or we will be unable to match your CV to the role being applied for.
- Your address (including post code) and a telephone number so that we can reach you during working hours
- Your recent UK working experience going back at least 5 years, or full employment history if you have been working for fewer years than this.
- Your availability to work either immediately, or at short notice.
- Qualified solicitor or equivalent
- Member of the Law Society (SRA). Please provide proof of this in proof of qualifications.
- Thorough and demonstrable working knowledge of contract law, local government law, EU regulations, TUPE, best value and partnering concepts
- Significant experience of advising on, drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts, including standard service and maintenance contracts and building and engineering contracts
- Evidence of ability to analyse, problem-solve and manage complex matters at a senior level without supervision and to work closely with other council officers and members
- IT skills including Microsoft packages
Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
If you would prefer to send a CV straight to us rather than by way of an on-line application, you are very welcome to do so via email@example.com but please quote both the job reference and job title exactly as they appear below:
Interim Contracts Solicitor/Lawyer – Legal Services
Anticipated Length of Assignment: Unless otherwise stated (we do carry the occasional permanent vacancy) all of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis and can sometimes become permanent.
Please do try to resist contacting us with requests for progress updates.
We really do read every CV sent to us. All applications will be acknowledged by a human, not a robot, provided the job remains live and provided your CV meets the “Essential Requirements” listed.
Please note that we do our level best to take down ads as soon as roles have been filled. We are not in the business of harvesting CVs.
Important: We will interpret your application as being permission to submit your CV to this role (with the right to represent you) unless you advise us to the contrary.
Your CV needs to be current with your most recent role. We won’t be able to submit it with any unexplained gaps in employment. It will save time and improve your chances of success if we can put your CV forward immediately without having to ask for revisions.
Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” of the role. Ideally you will address the “Essential Requirements” on each job description page directly, in a bullet point list. Please include any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
Your CV should clearly state that you are available to start work either immediately, or at short notice. In general, our clients are unable to work with notice periods of more than 1 week from the point at which a role is offered, 2 weeks at the very most.
We do not put forward covering letters, so please ensure that your CV in contains all relevant information being called for.
We recommend that you consider sending us a CV suitably tailored CV for each role that you apply for. Job board aggregator sites will generally store only one version of your CV, which can be a bit limiting, so this is to your advantage.