Council Tax Officer – Business Services
Reference no: Camden RQ143067
Pay Rate: £14.49 ph PAYE, noting that Ltd/Umbrella company rates may also apply[temporary, but potentially long term role, subject to extension by the client]
- Where this vacancy is based:
London, WC1H 8
- What’s involved with this role:
To provide a professional, proactive, customer focussed service to maximise revenue for the organisation, through the assertive administration, collection and advanced recovery of council tax, which will focus the service in meeting their statutory and legal obligations and Camden Plan objectives, whilst maximising collection.
- To investigate and case manage all problematic cases to conclusion, (e.g. hardship, SMI cases) Must ensure that all the relevant departments and health care providers are liaised with and the necessary documentation obtained to ensure statutory compliance to both the Recovery Policy and Camden Plan.
- To attend and represent the Council at both the Magistrates Court and Valuation Tribunal on a regular basis. This will involve negotiating payment arrangements with challenging customers and giving evidence under oath where required. High Court attendance is also required for any case referrals as an expert witness, with specialised technical knowledge.
- To identify and carry out changes to property bands by both advising and dealing with notifications to and from the Valuation Office. You will perform the subsequent reconciliation of the property valuation bands and addresses, using reports provided by them, along with those received from the land and property gazetteer.
- Identify and progress appropriate recovery action against customers all the way through the recovery process using overdue lists and case referrals. Allocate Enforcement Agent (EAs) payments, advising EAs of direct payments and account amendments. Set and monitor SPARS, attachment to benefits and earnings and progress caseloads through to bankruptcy/liquidation and committal. Be able to manage insolvency caseloads in liaison with the Council’s appointed practitioners and insolvency solicitors.
- Provide support to Council Tax Inspectors in terms of administration, such as contacting customers about visits, obtaining the necessary authorisation from agents representing clients, writing completion notices, and providing Health and Safety backup when required.
N.B. – If, when replying, you fail to quote the Job Title & Vacancy Reference No. your application will be AUTOMATICALLY REJECTED.
- Giving yourself the best chance of success:
- Please make sure that your CV is up to date and explains any gaps in employment.
- Your CV must cover the “Essential Requirements” (see below) of the role, including any DBS details and other qualifications called for.
- TO AVOID BEING REJECTED your CV should clearly state that you are AVAILABLE TO START WORK IMMEDIATELY OR AT SHORT NOTICE.
- WE CANNOT USE INFORMATION IN COVERING LETTERS, SO YOUR CV MUST CONTAIN ALL RELEVANT INFORMATION
- We recommend that you consider sending us (see * below) a suitably ‘tailored’ CV for each role that you apply for, listing somewhere near the top of your CV any key skills, experience and qualifications that relate specifically to this vacancy.
- “Essentials” – The following requirements must be highlighted on your CV itself and NOT in a covering letter:
- UK working experience
- Availability to work – CV should state either immediate or at short notice
- IRRV Qualified or previous technical experience gained from having worked in a local revenues customer focused environment
- Minimum of 3 years recent experience of working in a Council Tax environment, preferably within a similar role or context and ideally within a public sector organisation THIS MUST BE CONFIRMED
- Experience of the Civica/IBS software package THIS MUST BE CONFIRMED
- Experience of writing detailed witness statements and complex letters, e.g. drafting stage-one complaints
- Ability to act as an expert witness at either the High Court, a Valuation Tribunal or at the Magistrates’ Court
- Good investigative skills and ability to deal with outside Agencies
- Fully proficient at using IT systems, with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office packages
- Other preferable/desirable details to include on your CV, if applicable:
- Any local authority/public sector experience
- Any relevant qualifications held or being studied for
- Client: Public sector organisation
- Division(s)/Disciplines involved: Business Services/Finance/ Council Tax Officer
- Anticipated Length of Assignment: All of our roles are technically temporary, though opening assignments can be and often are, extended by clients on a longer term basis. This opening assignment is for 2 months.
- Hours per week: 36 Monday – Friday, normal working hours
- Pay Basis: All vacancies are advertised at Triumph’s in-house PAYE rates of pay. We do, however, encourage all of our temps to actively consider the advantages of working their assignments via one of our external payroll company partners. Such (“umbrella”) arrangements are also PAYE based, but under them, most temps find themselves significantly better off in cash terms. More of this should you be appointed to the role …
Triumph Consultants Limited
*IF YOU WISH TO SEND A CV THROUGH TO US AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO APPLYING ON LINE, YOU MAY EMAIL IT DIRECTLY THROUGH TO:
…….but you must always remember to quote the reference number for the job in question, without which we will be unable to match your CV to the vacancy, given the number of applications that we receive each day. Please do note, however, that if the vacancy is no longer showing on the site it will no longer be live and you won’t necessarily get a reply from us if that is the case.
Please do not contact us requesting progress updates.
We read every CV sent to us, but due to high volumes are not able to respond to all unsuccessful applications, particularly where CVs do not address the “essentials” requested. You will, however, always hear from us by email if we are able to take your CV forward to the next stage.
Please note that we check all ads at least once per day to ensure that the underlying roles remain live.